LTE-unlicensed or LTE-U was once again a major topic of discussion at the 3GPP RAN plenary meeting last week. Although no Study/Work Items were approved regarding the usage of LTE in unlicensed spectrum, a half-day workshop is planned for sharing ideas on LTE-U. It will be held after RAN #64 meeting on 13.06.2014.
An earlier workshop on the same topic was organised in Jan 2014, attended by 40-odd companies. A summary of that workshop is available in RP-140060. The key points are given below.
Possible use cases / scenarios Main discussion focused on Operator-deployed small cells
- Indoor and outdoor hotspot
- Primary cell on licensed spectrum aggregated with secondary cell on unlicensed spectrum
- Dual connectivity and stand-alone operation were discussed as well
Other scenarios such as user-deployed small cells, Wireless backhaul were also discussed. Potential Technical Requirements
- Multi-technology coexistence and fairness – Especially LTE – WiFi
- Multi-operator coexistence and fairness –…
View original post 123 more words