Enhanced IPv6 POCLAB V2 Developed

30 Dec

I truly believe in the fact that if every IT enthusiast will actively help to bring IPv6 forward we can cut down the time in half until IPv6 is finally everywhere. Among other things this is my practical type of contribution:

I set up a training lab to share knowledge and best practice and let people feel and touch the new address space. In my opinion: only seeing is true believing (in a technical sense :-) ).
After multiple sessions of training / presenting my existing IPv6 lab I decided to use the year-end-shutdown period to update my servers and enhance the layout and functionality of my new lab design. IPv6PoCLab v2 was born:
Ipv6poclabv2
The principle remains the same:

  • Routing is done by the CSR1000v — I always use the latest version.
  • Host are based on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.
  • Servers are based either on Windows Server 2008 R2 or Server 2012.

And now the difference: there are a few add ons which reflect a more realistic scenario:

  • The headend routers are doubled, which makes a redundancy design possible.
  • I added one more branch to extend the numbers of participants who can play an active role in the lab.
  • Three datacenters have found their way into the lab, because the CSR1000v supports OTV (Overlay Transport Virtualization).
  • Due to the number of VMs used I had to add a WSUS server to upgrade all Windows based host systems.

Quite an amount of work, but I think it will be worth the effort. Unfortunately I decided to rebuild my RAID system on my UCS 220 and UCS 240 to enhance the storage capacity. This is why I had to accept to begin from scratch. Another part of the decision was to move from UCS 240 to UCS 220 because it is a little smaller and I can transport and carry it more easily. So I created virtual networks and machines again:

Hosts Vlan

The whole design looks like:
Vlan hosts
And of course I also did a redesign of my IPv6 address space. I created the fdad:adad:adad::/48 network, because it is still enough space for my lab. But this time I made more use of level 2 prefixes to match a more realistic scenario. Anyhow I targeted /52 prefixes to divide my /48 into 16 subnets:
Firstlevel
Then I used the next four Bits (which leads to /56) for the level 2 prefixes:
2ndlevel
As you can see every branch still has 256 different subnets available which leaves room for massive growth (right now I only use one subnet). And of course: if you do your addressing the right way then you will still have an huge space where you can easily add more when needed.
Finally the lab is ready and right now I am doing an „always-on“ test for the next few days, because I had some strange experience with the power sleep mode of the guest system and VMWare …

 

Source: http://ipv6poclab.org/2013/12/29/enhanced-ipv6poclab-v2-developed/

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: