Why is there a need for 5G?
While the operators are already facing many challenges with their current ‘3G’ networks, not all of them have been addressed by the ‘4G’ networks.
The main challenges facing mobile operators that ‘5G’ needs to address are:
– Even better speeds (peak rates of up to 10Gbps)
– Perfect cell-edge coverage
– Extremely low latency (round trip time of roughly 1ms)
– Significant volume of information /channel capacity (Ultra HD video)
– Capability to handle large number of connected devices without any concerns (tens of thousands of devices per access node)
– Interference management in HetNet scenarios – New deployment architectures (Mesh networks)
– Low power consumption / Energy saving