There are couple of Technologies /tools that allow Java programs to be debugged, profiled, monitored and managed. These technologies allow a tool to obtain information from the Java Virtual Machine(JVM) in a different process.
The HotSpot Virtual Machine contains several technologies that allow its operation to be observed by another Java process:
- Performance Counters
- Serviceability Agents
- Monitoring & Management Interface
- Dynamic Attach
Hotspot JVM Performance Counters
- HotSpot has the jvmstat perf buffer that collects a list of perf counters output from HotSpot.
- The HotSpot JVM exports a set of instrumentation objects, or counters as they are typically called.
- Jvmstat perf counters are created by default and are always on and are updated by Hotspot.
- The same set of counters are not being exported by JVM at all times, as the counters depend on the arguments specified on the command line.
- The names of these counters and…
View original post 1,543 more words